Friday 4 March 2011

Friday I'm in love...

Well it's Friday and I'm glad.

Don't get me wrong, this week has been lovely and I've been able to get busy and submerge myself in various little projects but I'm always happy when 4pm on Friday arrives. It marks the start of having my husband home for a whole two days! It's the little things like being able to share a conversation over breakfast without cutting it short as he dashes out to work or seeing the happiness on our daughter Elena's face as "daddy" gives her her breakfast. She knows this is different and enjoys making even more of a mess in an attempt to show off to her new found best friend. I often notice that by Sunday evening, Daddy is definitely the favourite as every crawl, every little whimper and every little leg pull leads to her Dad picking her up and showering her in kisses and a big hug. I'm sure sometimes as I catch her eye she's smiling... She knows what she's doing.

The weekend is family time and although it's usually jam packed with lots of things we need to do and places we need to be, it's time where we're all together and basking in each others company and idle chit chat. (Plus it almost always guarantees me a lie in at some point!)

There was a time when the arrival of Friday would mean making plans with the girls and getting all geared up for a good catch up and a few glasses of wine and although we still do this, the last minute arrangements and the late texts have changed to booking a night next month and even then, when little ones are involved, plans always change. So my Friday nights usually involve a cheeky glass of wine in front of the telly with my husband & to be honest after a busy week both of us haven't got the energy for anything else.

We have a couple of house viewings this weekend so I'm very excited. I'm excited for my daughter being able to play in a garden, to be able to throw dinner parties and not have everyone sat on each others laps, and I'm excited about filling that house with love, laughter and happiness. That's my dream.

As it's Friday I thought I'd share with you a little recipe that I tried out yesterday. I had never made banana bread before & I've been threatening to all week, so I finally grabbed a few minutes yesterday (amid my gardening) and made my first ever banana bread.

I've added a couple of pictures to my flickr page for you to check out. Not bad for a first attempt! My husband was suitably impressed and so was Elena as she munched it warm from the oven.

Here's what to do;

Ingredients

Preparation method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
  2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour mixture.
    Grease a 20cm x 12.5cm/8in x 5in loaf tin and pour the cake mixture into the tin.
  5. Transfer to the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
  6. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
It really is the most delicious thing to have with a cup of tea. Plus it's perfect if you've got guests this weekend, they'll love it.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend may it be filled with many happy memories.

Thank you for reading. See you on Monday!

Love

Bex
x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diaryofahousewife/ - pictures of my banana bread x

No comments:

Post a Comment