Tuesday 15 March 2011

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" - Let Them Eat Cake...

I'm so very sorry that this post has taken me all day! And would you believe, I'm still not finished!


How are you today? I hope that you've had the sun today, as there has been none here. I even had to pop Elena's gloves and hat on today when we walked into town. The weather is as indecisive as me at the moment. Hence why it's taken me all day to make these cakes I promised you. I must have wondered around Sainsburys for at least an hour trying to make a decision on what I was going to share with you. You see I had a wonderful idea yesterday and then completely changed my mind and decided I wanted to do something a bit more seasonal. So, I went and sat in the cafe, had a cuppa and a big slice of chocolate fudge cake and thought about it.. and then it came to me.


I then realised that I wasn't quite sure what ingredients I had at home in the cupboard...


Typical... I'll have to get the lot then...


Pushing the pram with 1 hand and holding a basket with the other is not the easiest of tasks as it is, let alone when the basket is piled full of sugar, flour, royal icing, butter, chocolate and milk! So much to everyone's amazement, I decided it was easier to push the pram with 2 hands and kick the basket along the floor as I went. Not my proudest moment and I was very flustered by the end of the whole experience but needless to say, I got the ingredients I needed to make today's treat.


I also must admit that I have been making two loaves of banana bread as well so the cakes did take a slight bit longer than planned.


I shall be putting the finishing touches to the cakes in the next hour, so until then I thought I'd let you know that I hadn't forgotten about you.


See you in a bit...


****************************


Ok, finally - I've finished...


Easter Cupcakes


For this, I just used a basic vanilla sponge recipe. I found this makes approx. 30 cupcakes.


Ingredients:
200g/7oz - Margarine or softened butter
200g - Caster Sugar
200g - Self-raising flour
4 - Medium free range eggs
3/4 teaspoon - Vanilla extract.


Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC(315ºF/Gas mark 2-3)
Beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy then add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
Sift in the flour and mix thoroughly. Add the vanilla extract.
Pop the mixture into the cases and pop in the oven for about 20 mins - keep an eye on them as for some reason mine always differ in time.
Once out of the oven let them cool for 15 minutes.








(Yes, I confess that I cheated - I have a cupcake maker.. The only difference is, it cooks the cakes in about 5-8 minutes, so you can cook a lot more)




You may also notice that my pink cases are now yellow... something to do with too much mixture and too long in the cupcake maker..!




Whilst you're waiting for the cakes to cool you can make the buttercream and the chocolate nests.


Buttercream:
500g - Salted butter
1kg - Icing sugar
2 teaspoons - Vanilla extract
A drop of milk if needed.


Method:
Cream the butter until the colour goes a bit lighter
Sift the icing sugar in and mix thoroughly.
Add the vanilla extract.
If the mixture is a bit too stiff, you can add a drop of milk to make it smoother.


Chocolate nests are pretty straight foward, I just melted a block of chocolate (any chocolate you like, your own preference) and once melted I added some shredded wheat. I then arranged them on a plate and placed them in the fridge to harden.






Once your cakes are completely cooled add the buttercream, plonk a nest on top and place some mini eggs on the nest. I secured my mini eggs with Royal Icing waiting for the icing to go off a bit before I used it.










Et voilà... Easter Cupcakes.




I hope today's post was worth the wait and would love it if you'd make some. I can pop round with mine and we can chat and eat cakes till the sun goes down.

Thank you for stopping by, see you tomorrow!

Love

Bex


x

No comments:

Post a Comment