Thursday 3 March 2011

Home Is Where The Heart Is

Good morning and welcome to my Blog. I've wanted to put a blog together for some time now, but for those of you with a little one, you'll know that you are forever up and about changing nappies, feeding, cleaning up and of course playing so having 5 minutes peace is usually time to grab a cuppa and take a few deep breaths before starting all over again! Well I've indulged in enough tea this morning already (after my first decent nights sleep in nearly 2 weeks) so I feel refreshed and ready to tackle something new.

It's a pretty chilly morning here in Stoke but I can see that the sun is trying to make an appearence so I shall keep my fingers crossed.

The general idea of the blog came from following a few myself and reading about my friends' day to day exploits and accomplishments. I found that I really enjoyed sitting down with a nice cup of tea and reading for a few minutes every day. I enjoyed sharing in their happiness and felt like we were actually sat across the kitchen table sharing a few stories before getting back to changing nappies, feeding etc... So here I am.

I have found myself, the last couple of weeks, reading up and taking a lot of interest in gardening. Which came as a huge surprise to me as the most green my fingers have ever been is when they were painted with an over confident "emerald" nail varnish. Now, whether it's my new founded motherhood or just a sign of getting old, I'm going to go with the flow and seize the moment.

I always wanted to have my own herb garden and vegetable patch. Nothing that takes too much effort and time, as let's face it, I don't have it! My dad always kept a veg patch and made sure that my 2 sisters and I always knew the different plants and even gave us little sections to tend to ourselves.

So here goes...

I will be growing, onions, garlic, potatoes and herbs such as rosemary, thyme, parsley, lemon balm, basil and sage. My husband, daughter and I have recently sold our house and will be moving soon, so I wanted to be able to take my crops with me. I will be growing my herbs from seeds so I have invested in a mini propagator set from Amazon along with some potato bags to grow, you guessed it, my potatoes in. I am hoping I might be able to grow my onions and garlic in the potato bags too... I'm using potato bags as it means I can take them to our new house with ease, but they're also perfect it you don't have a garden or very little space.

"It is always a good idea to buy your seed potatoes from a reputable supplier or garden centre as they will usually be grown in conditions necessary to ensure that the seed is healthy and free from pests and diseases. Giving you the best possible results, which should be lots and lots of wonderful & tasty potatoes.


OK, first things first. When you have your seed potatoes in front of you it is best to ‘Chit’ them before they go in to the bag or the ground. To chit basically means that you are allowing the sprouts to grow a bit more before plunging them in the darkness of the soil. You’re giving them a head start and although it’s not essential to do this it does help a great deal." - Taken from Cherry Menlove's website.

So this is my plan for today is to start the process of "Chitting" my potatoes. I shall let you know how I get on. I am also going to plant my herbs in my propagator and I'll upload some pictures for you tomorrow.

I hope the sun is shining wherever you are and that you have a wonderful day whatever you're up to.

Thank you for reading

Bex
x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diaryofahousewife/ I've uploaded a few photos here x

Don't forget you can follow my daily posts by clicking follow on the right side of the blog. Thank you x

No comments:

Post a Comment